Sunday, December 06, 2009

Advent 2009 - 2nd Sunday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Entrance Antiphon

People of Zion, the Lord will come
to save all nations,
and your hearts will exult
to hear his majestic voice.

Opening Prayer

Let us pray

that nothing may hinder us from receiving Christ with joy.
God of power and mercy,
open our hearts in welcome.
Remove the things that hinder us from receiving
Christ with joy,
so that we may share his wisdom
and become one with him
when he comes in glory,
for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.



Daily Meditation

God is leading Israel in joy
by the light of his glory,
with his mercy and justice for company.
Baruch 5

We begin this second week of our Advent journey
with this wonderful proclamation of the end of our exile.
We really can take off our robe of misery
and put on the splendor of the glory of God forever.

Let us experience today what it will be like to be
freed from the power of our sins to hold us captive.
Freed from our longing, our desire:
that we might be set free.

The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy.” Ps. 126


Intercessions

To the Lord Jesus Christ, judge of the living dead,
let us pray:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Lord Jesus, you came to save sinners,
- protect us in times of temptation.

You will come in glory to be our judge,
- show in us your power to save.

Help us to keep the precepts of your law with the strength
of the Spirit,
- and to look forward in love to your coming.

You are praised throughout the ages; in your mercy help
us to live devoutly and temperately in this life,
- as we wait in joyful hope for the revelation of your
glory.


Closing Prayer

Thank you for offering me your gentle love.
You speak tender words
to the darkness in my heart
and offer gentle care in warm arms
outstretched to welcome me home.

You know me so well,
and I feel my heart rise
in your familiar presence.
There is a flicker of hope.
Finally I will let my life be touched
by the strength of your courage
and I will rejoice in the news
that my savior is near.

May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.