Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent 2009 - 3rd Wednesday



"Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Father,
may the coming celebration of the birth of your son
bring us your saving help
and prepare us for eternal life.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


Daily Meditation

I am the LORD, there is no other.
Turn to me and be safe.

We have heard the promises and we have begged for more hope.
Today we pray for his saving help and hear his personal invitation
to turn to him, to find our safety in him alone.

How might I yet place my trust in God's love for me?
How might I yet surrender my independence?
How might my heart grow in anticipation and welcome
of the fullness of his coming to me this year?

Let justice descend, O heavens, like dew from above, like gentle rain let the skies drop it down.
Let the earth open and salvation bud forth; let justice also spring up! Is 45


Intercessions:

The Word of God humbled himself to dwell with us so
that we might see his glory. Rejoicing in hope, let us call
upon him:
Emmanuel, be with us.

Ruler, just and righteous,
- bring justice to the poor and the oppressed.

King of peace, you beat swords into plowshares and spears
into pruning hooks,
- turn hatred into love and our grievances into forgiveness.

You do not judge by appearances,
- recognize those who are your own.

When you come with power and might upon the clouds,
- grant that we may come before you without shame.


Closing Prayer

Dearest Lord,
Your invitation settles in my soul:
"Turn to me and be safe."
Something lets go inside when I take those words into my heart.
They are an invitation for me to rest.

So many moments of my life are filled with my own needs.
"Turn to me and be safe," you say to me again.
Give me the great grace to let go from the depths of my soul.
Help me to be released
from the demons I cling to with so much fear.

I hear your invitation to ask for help
and I begin to list all the places in my life that need healing.
"Turn to me and be safe."

You promise your saving help
and I know it is the only thing that can heal me.
I feel your presence in my life
and am aware of the growing joy I feel
as I anticipate celebrating the birth of your son.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.