Sunday, December 20, 2009

Advent 2009 - 4th Sunday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Entrance Antiphon
Let the clouds rain down the Just One, and the earth bring forth a Savior.

Opening Prayer

Let us pray
as Advent draws to a close, that Christ will truly come
into our hearts.

Lord,
fill our hearts with your love,
and as you revealed to us by an angel
the coming of your Son as man,
so lead us through his suffering and death
to the glory of his resurrection,
for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen


Daily Meditation

“Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son,
and you shall name him Jesus.
He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High,
and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father,
and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever,
and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
- Luke 1

On this last Sunday of Advent,
we quietly reflect on the mystery.

We rest in awe, in wonder,
at how our God entered our world and came to be with us.

We pause to receive the gift offered us:
that the Spirit of God will open up our lives and
that Jesus will really come into our hearts.

May we have watchful hope today,
believing what the Lord promises us.
Let us pray today, that we might be God's servants,
that we might be instruments of God's love
for our families and all we serve this week.

I will give you rest from all your enemies 2 Sam. 7

“Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.
May it be done to me according to your word.” - Lk. 1

Intercessions

To the Lord, Jesus Christ, judge of the living and the dead,
let us pray:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Lord Jesus, you came to save sinners,
- protect us in times of temptation.

You will come in glory to be our judge,
- show in us your power to save.

Help us to keep the precepts of your law with strength of Spirit,
- and to look forward in love to your coming.

You are praised throughout the ages;
in your mercy help us to live devoutly and temperately in this life,
- as we wait in joyful hope for the revelation of your glory.

O KEY OF DAVID,
and Sceptre of the House of Israel,

who opens and no one shuts,

who shuts and no one opens:

Come, and bring forth the captive from his prison,

he who sits in darkness and in the shadow of death.

Closing Prayer
Oh, Jesus, you hold the key
that will unlock my constricted heart.
It gives me great hope
that Mary said yes to you and your plan.
She was filled with the Spirit
and put aside her own doubts.

I know you are ready to answer my prayers,
ease my doubts and calm my fears.
Sometimes I don't hear your messengers
because they aren't what I expect.
They aren't wearing wings or halos
but are the people standing in front of me.

How many times have I not listened?
How often have I balked at your messages
and your messengers?

Fill me with the light of your Spirit
and enter, in all your glory
into my life.
Let me rejoice!

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.